One woman's path through doula training, childrearing, and a computer science Ph. D. program

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reasons I am Superwoman

Here are nine reasons I am Superwoman.  Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of our accomplishments, else we can become discouraged with life and our daily responsibilities.  Some things I do, even if by accident, make me proud of myself (even momentarily).  Here is my list.

Feats of superhuman productivity:
  • At my peak, I made four extra ounces of milk a day for preemies in need of breast milk, and, later, our milk brother.
  • I can crank out two original 14-page papers in one month while making dinner, co-sleeping, and not missing a beat with my family.
  • My dissertation area hovers gracefully between four vastly different fields.
Feats of superhuman strength:
  • When I was 9 months pregnant, I silently rearranged the living room furniture as my husband napped.  He woke up when I tried to push the couch, on which he was sleeping, to the other end of the room.
  • When I was 2 days postpartum, I pushed the car a few feet up a slight hill to cover the chalk marks on the tires.
  • Now, I can walk a mile with my toddler balanced on my shoulders, and a bag of produce in my hands.
Feats of superhuman multitasking:
  • I can carry my toddler son in the shower with one hand, as he nurses, while rinsing my hair... without getting him wet.  Also, chew gum.
Normal, everyday stuff that makes me smile:
  • I talk with my grandmother daily.
  • I nurse my son to sleep.
And even with this list to remind me that I take on more than I can chew, and certainly more than many people do, I frequently feel awkward and unsure of myself.  Sometimes I just need to take a break, breathe, and let out a ferocious roar: to myself, and to my family, I am Superwoman!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...